Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Personal Best of 2013 in Books

Some friends and I have a yearly tradition of sharing our favorite media with each other, and since life hasn’t been kind enough to allow me time to think, much less blog, about anything heavier in recent weeks, I thought I would expand upon my favorites here at The Gleaming Sword, beginning with books.

In a year when a new Robert Jordan book comes out, nothing else stands a chance, and that was true in 2013 as well. Each of the last three installments in the Wheel of Time series, completed by Brian Sanderson based on Jordan’s notes, has been excellent, and A Memory of Light, the fourteenth and final book, was among the best in the whole series. Somehow, Sanderson brought the biggest plot spread and largest cast of characters I’ve ever seen to a satisfying conclusion. I remember seeing The Wheel of Time on a list of books adults should grow out of, but I have to disagree. Its stark vision of Good versus Evil is just as satisfying to me as an adult as it was when I began reading almost 20 years ago in college.

 

Instead of jumping from series to series this year, I tried to follow some straight through to the end. One such sustained reading project was Philip Jose Farmer’s Riverworld series--which even got a blog of its own (blog). The true enjoyment of this series lay in the concept of all humanity resurrected along the banks of a massive river and in learning about the historical personages who appear throughout the series, from Sir Richard Francis Burton and Alice Pleasance Liddell to Cyrano de Bergerac, King John and Hermann Goring. Unfortunately, after the phenomenal first book, I found the series frustratingly uneven, with little in the way of prose style and only infrequent glimpses of the engaging characters, gripping events and insightful ponderings with which the series began.

But it was an interesting series, and it led me to learn more about Sir Richard Francis Burton by reading Fawn M. Brodie’s biography The Devil Drives. Burton was a soldier, explorer, poet, linguist and translator, most known for discovering Lake Tanganyika and translating One Thousand and One Nights. In some of that--his penchant for study, travel and translation--I can’t help but feel he was something of a kindred spirit, but if he was, he was certainly a much higher specimen of our type. The Devil Drives was interesting for its insight into Burton, but also for its glimpse into a time when the world was still being discovered rather than simply covered.

 
If Richard Burton was something of a kindred spirit, my next big subject of interest--with his drugs, alcohol, guns and wild pranks--was certainly not. As I read the biography Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson, I was fascinated, but disconcerted by a mind both unglued as well as genius. I can sympathize with his political leanings, but his way of living positively frightens me. Nonetheless, it is hard to imagine he would have delivered up such classics as Hell’s Angels and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas without continually living on the edge.

The real treat in my exploration of Thompson this year was Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ’72. It spends over half its pages on the Democratic primaries, dives deep into the Democratic convention, and, almost as an afterthought, as a shrug, comments upon George McGovern’s loss to Richard Nixon. The book is Thompson in high style, slewing from serious reporting and interview transcripts to colorful anecdotes, invective and surreal fantasy--and it leaves one sad that a man as good as George McGovern should be forgotten to most:

 
Projects for 2014 include continuing a thread of reading in the Frankfurt School and Critical Theory with Herbert Marcuse’s Eros and Civilization, with lighter reading in the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson Dune books and Michael Moorcock’s Elric books.

More on those next year, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment